Sparking Outlets: Are They Dangerous?

Electricians Tips

You’ve probably seen it plenty of times — a small blue spark when you plug in an appliance. Most of the time, this is a normal and harmless event. But it’s worth paying attention to, because some sparks can be early warning signs of dangerous problems.

Why Do Outlets Spark?
Your home’s electrical system is divided into circuits, and some circuits may have multiple outlets along the way. Electrical current runs hot and fast in this continuous loop, and the outlet is the point where an appliance can “hop on”. When this happens, there’s always a split second when the plug and outlet connections are almost touching, and the electrical current can reach across that gap, producing a spark.

Whether you see it or not, this happens every time you plug something in, and it’s completely safe and normal. But there are other types of sparking that are cause for alarm.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *